Time-saving tips, helpful hints…
An incomplete list of unorthodox things that can be stored in the freezer:
- parmesan cheese (grated or solid)
- fresh ginger-peel it, chop it into 1 inch pcs, put it in a freezer bag
- cookie dough (see Overnight Batter Rule)
- hot dog & hamburger buns
- skinless chicken marinating in BBQ sauce. Take the chicken out of the package, put it in a freezer bag with some BBQ sauce and freeze it. I will thaw and marinate at the same time.
The Overnight Batter Rule When making cookie dough with egg you may find your cookies come out better when the dough has had time to sit. This is because the egg is a slow moving entity that takes time to fuse with the other ingredients. Once the egg has thoroughly blended, 12 or even 24 hours after shutting off the mixer, your dough is ready for the oven. That’s right, I’m telling you to make the batter, cover it and put it in the fridge overnight. You can also put it in the freezer and take out enough for small batches of cookies.
Things I like to keep in my cabinet. A well-stocked cabinet will get you through any food emergency. I always like to keep on hand several cans of :
- black beans
- diced tomatoes
- chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- sliced black olives
- coconut milk
- Cannellini beans
- chicken broth/vegetable broth